I will show you all where I live. But I won't tell you where. :) Sorry but that's just how I roll! I'm sure there are some who could figure it out easy enough but I like living in my semi anonymous town of Farmerstown.
I'm sure you all know by know that I live on a farm and my Farm is in the great state of Indiana. The heartland of our beautiful country. My Hubby and I live on the farm that has been in his family for many generations. We grow grain and melons on our farm. We live in an old farm house that has been added on to in about 10 different directions (and it's still not nearly big enough) but we love it. Just about everyone on our old country road is related to my husband. Usually a cousin, uncle, parents or shirt tail cousin (2nd cousins or farther back.) It can get a little confusing because the family name is the same on just about every mail box on this road... I laugh when I have to give directions to someone new because I just say count the mailboxes with Farmer on it and when you come to the 7th Farmer mailbox you've found us!! :) Living in a community like this has it's ups and downs. I love the fact that if I'm out in the yard working I might have to stop 2 or 3 times to chat with the neighbors when they drive by. But then again if I'm working in my yard and I want to get done before dark it's hard to stop, because I have such friendly neighbors. It's a catch 22! You can't run away when they pull in the driveway... Boy would everybody talk about me then!!! We live off the beaten path. I love that I don't have to lock my doors. I love that I know every person driving down this road. And if their teenage son is driving too fast somebody is going to hear about it... Yes it's one of those neighborhoods!! Back when Mama Farmer was in the hospital for all those weeks it seemed like there was always something hot sitting on our stove when we came home from sitting up at the hospital with her. We didn't always know who brought it over. But it was nice to know somebody cared. I wouldn't trade this place for a million dollars! I'm sure people may think where I live is a lot like Mulberry (Andy Griffith's Home town) and the people may seem naive or not near as up to date as the bigger cities but I would rather wave a hundred times a day as I'm heading to town, then be ignored or snubbed in a big city. I lived for a short time in one of the bigger cities near our home and it was such a lonesome feeling. I would pump my gas and the clerk never said a word when you paid them. I would drive the same route every day to work and not see the same face twice. But here the clerks at our (one and only) gas station know who I am and ask about my family. I wouldn't trade that alone for anything. This is my home and where my heart resides. It's not fancy but it's ours. This little house has been in the family for years. I hope one day to pass it along to the next newly married couple.
Thanks for visting our little home






2 comments:
I agree that living in à big city is so much lonelier than living in the country! Your house and town seem precious:)
We live in a smaller town, but not as small as your's (we have 3 gas stations ;-)
I wouldn't give my country life up for anything! BIL keeps trying to get my husband to move to Manchester, NH...a big city...yuck! No thank you...I'll take my country life.
Post a Comment