Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 14 & Day 15

Sorry about that Hiccup yesterday! I'm just going to skip yesterday and today's 30 day blog journal posts if y'all don't mind.

Mama Farmer and I spent most of the morning yesterday sitting in the hospital waiting to have her 2 twice a month CT scan. We had an interesting day... I think I can even say she had fun!! :) After we got out of the hospital she was HUNGRY!!! Hip Hip Hurray!!!! So we went to her favorite little pub that serves fantastic "Bar Food." She was so hungry she actually ordered the house specialty: A HUGE tenderloin with fries. And then of course she wanted appetizers! (WTH?) So we talked and nibbled on appetizers (She said she had really been craving, which is a really great sign by the way.) I swear my mouth fell open when she ordered all that! But then she really floored me when she pointed at a slushy type machine and asked me if I thought it was a daiquiri maker? I said probably so. Then she says I think I want one!!! I think you could have knocked me over with a feather when she said that!! Here I am out in a bar at 11:00 on Wednesday morning and my mother in law who just happens to be fighting colon, liver & lung cancer, wants a DRINK!!! What is the protocol for this? I know from working as a CPCT in a hospital that the majority of medication that is being taken by a cancer patient should NOT ever be mixed with alcohol. But here she is literally falling over the bar for a fish bowl strawberry daiquiri!!! Do you tell her no? I'm sitting here weighing all the options... She already has 3 types of cancer this can't cause her anymore harm!! Oh my g-d!!! I'm going to end up carrying a 100 lb drunk woman out of a bar in downtown "Farmerstown" at 11:00 am on a Wednesday! And everyone and their brother know her and ME and know that she is fighting cancer! How is that going to look? Much less her son and daughter will hear all about it by the time I get her home and tucked in bed. And how in the hell is a hangover going to feel on top of cancer treatments? My mind is racing!! I tell her she needs to eat something first!! (I'm starting to sound like the mother here!) She agrees after I remind her that she had to fast since the night before. So she eats, and eats and eats some more. I haven't seen this girl eat this well in over a year!!! So I'm hoping against hope that she will be too full for a strawberry daiquiri. She gets more the 3/4 of the way through the tenderloin which was enormous. And she ate almost all her French fries and just about all the fried mushrooms!! I was so proud of her! I think she was proud of herself too. But the whole time we were talking she kept looking over my shoulder at the daiquiri machine. I could tell it was calling her name. Once she had eaten as much as she was able. She leaned forward and asked with the biggest grin on her face, Can I get my strawberry daiquiri now? How do you say no, to a 59 year old woman who is going through the roughest, toughest thing in her whole entire life? I said yes but I think we need to make it Virgin Daiquiris. She looked a little puzzled at that term. And I said it’s a daiquiri without the alcohol!! Then she tells me it’s not a daiquiri, if it doesn’t have alcohol in it. By this time the waitress had slipped up to the table and was whipping her book out to take a drink order. And Mama Farmer told her we needed 2 strawberry daiquiris!!! Fully leaded!! Oh My how I love that woman!! No amount of warning from me would affect her. She wanted her drink! When our Fish Bowls arrived the waitress apologized because she thought she got it a little too heavy on the rum! Oh great I thought!! Now we are going to have to call a cab!! (Oh wait there are NO CABS!!!) Mama Farmer was in hog heaven diving into her strawberry fish bowl. I really couldn't begrudge her the booze now. She had earned it!! My sister in law had texted me about 3 times while we were there. But I just skirted around the whole daiquiri subject. Because I wasn’t going to be the one who ratted unless I absolutely had to. I should have taken a picture of it. It really was a pretty daiquiri. There was whipped cream and fruit on top and an umbrella and 2 straws in each. I didn’t think it was very strong but I’m not 100 lbs. She slurped it down in record time and I could tell she was getting sleepy by the time she had it done. So we began to head out the door. She didn’t stumble but she was leaning! :) I got her in the truck and by the time we hit the highway she was dozing a little. I have to say that was probably one of her favorite CAT scan to date. (Mr. Farmer and his sister wouldn’t have let her do that) I know I will never forget it.
When I got her home she went straight for the couch. She was so glad to be home for a nap. (Even though she had napped all the way home :) I told her I would be back in about 3 hours to feed the horses and she said she would go along to “help” I said ok, just rest for awhile. When I came back later she was sleeping so soundly I didn’t have the heart to wake her. She was actually having a restful sleep for a change. I think in this whole cancer business were all trying to come to terms with the fact that she has to do what she wants even if it is against “Doctor’s orders.” It’s so hard following along sometimes when the patient doesn’t want what is “best” for them. But in this situation it made her happy. And yesterday I actually got to see the Mama Farmer I hadn’t seen in over a year.
If all goes well with this CAT scan she will only have 2 more treatments left. So keep up the prayers!! She needs them. We want her to be Cancer Free by Thanksgiving!!! Wouldn’t that be awesome?!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think what you did for your MIL is amazing and awesome! :) You made her day. She will forever remember this day (and so will you!) about how you bonded over daiquiri's and being "naughty" ladies for a day.
Good for you! I hope she feels better very soon. :)

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary