Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Because Marla told me too...

No not really I had to just get the details figured out in my head before I told you all what had happened this morning. My appt was this at 8:30am I knew I wasn't going to get the news I had hoped for. I just had that feeling in my gut... Maybe it was my slow growing follies that were giving me that feeling! Well what ever it was it was right. She said that with PCO (Collen always leaves off the S or D which always leaves me hanging... I just want to yell at her to use one or the other!!!) some women will respond slowly at 1st with FSH. And then all at once they can explode into full blown mature follies and there would end up being too many. So on Monday I had follies that weren't even 10mms they were in the 4,5, 6 and 7 range. Now today I have 1 single follicle on the left that is at 10mm and several still under the 10mm mark. And then on my right ovary the largest I have is an 8mm. With some little ones along with it. I'm not even growing at the normal rate of 2mm a day. But they still want me to keep coming back every other day!... Am I just whining? Does it seem like they are just milking me for more money? It could be the hormones talking and I know I need to be tested but if they know I'm not going to have mature follies by Friday then why did they need to see me today? They knew Monday that they would have to see me on Friday!!! I realize this isn't about the money it's about getting me pregnant but I do feel a little like I'm being taken advantage of. Just because I didn't go with the IUI plan. Which is a flat fee. And all the monitoring appts are included in that flat fee. So are the hormones making me paranoid? Or am I just a money tree? I'm a little perturbed because I think it would be better to use these monitoring appointments when I actually have something to freaking monitor!! Please help me see why I feel this way. Or is this how all RE's office's treat their PCO(S) patients?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Because Marla told me too...." Great title. I felt the same way!!! Her post was great.

I hate the nickel and diming that seems to go on when I go to the doctor! I am sorry that your ovaries are slow responders, it must be so frustrating! I am hoping the next appointment gets you the news you want!!!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel about the monitoring, but I doubt they're doing it jusy for s's and g's. That thing about responding slowly then exploding is true. I once went from 10's to 17's in 2 days... so it's better to be careful then to miss a cycle because you have too many or something.
And d or s lady!!! Pick one (that would drive me nuts too)!!

Robin said...

I don't want to feed into your possibly hormone caused paranoia, but I had similar feelings at my last RE. It was like they were always having me come in and spend more and more money when I felt like it was pointless. Either they have a bigger plan that we don't understand (and it's there job to explain that to us..) or they are totally oblivious to the plight of the self-payers.

I fired my RE and found a new one that I like much, much better. So my advice to you would be, if you can, shop around? You are paying them for a service and if they aren't giving you good customer service (in this case by nickel and diming you, or not telling you the big picture) it's time to move on!

Good luck and best wishes...
ICLW
Robin
http://lookingformykeys.blogspot.com

Marla said...

LMAO when I read your title!!! Lol! For the record, I was NOT referring to you or any of the regular's. I was referring to people who don't even take the time to check out other blogs - they just wait for comments to come rolling in their way, and with their blogs being ridiculously boring - Gawd! (Of course, I'm so damn confident that my blog is not boring - I'm probably the pot calling the kettle black!)

Well, enough of that. I want to comment on your thoughts about your cycle. Since your doc is using your cycle as a "practice cycle," it's a damn good thing you didn't waste more money on an IUI. Not that you knew in advance that that was his intentions, I think you just got lucky. Not that I would call your situation lucky either, but you know what I mean.

I'm sorry that your follies aren't co-operating, but it was pretty common for me to go in a couple times to check sizes, especially in the beginning. But yes, it sucks that you keep having to pay for those u/s. They just keep raising the costs of the total procedure. We weren't warned about that either. We thought we'd have one u/s per IUI, and it was at least two. And there wasn't a damn thing we could do about it.

So, yes, costs of procedures are very misleading. The price they give you at the initial consult is just the minimum. You end up paying way more than that by the time it's all said and done. Blows big donkey balls!

And, see, your post is 'comment-friendly' ;)

AL said...

Ugh, sorry for the slow growing follies! I hope they get their act together very soon, that's got to be so frustrating. And so is paying for and going to more and more monitoring appointments.

Good luck this cycle!

ICLW

M said...

it is frustrating... but close monitoring is totally necessary, esp with pcos (why do they leave of the 's' sometimes??) i once went in every damn morning for 15 days... it got to the point where i just would start crying when they called my name for the bloodwork, oh my poor arms! hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, as a fellow PCO(ser) i would think that being monitored more closely is a good thing - cos the last thing you need is for them not to monitor you this closely and end up with a cyst that bursts or something. Stimming a PCO profile patient is not always easy and a cautious approach in my mind is better.

All the best!

(ICLW)

C said...

I don't have any experience with PCOS or paying per appointment (we do IVF and pay a flat fee), but I just wanted to wish you luck and give you some support.

Thinking of you!

ICLW

Laura said...

Hello from IComLeavWe. :)

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary