Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wheat

Wheat is one of my favorite crops. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that it's planted in the fall and so it starts growing really really early in the spring so we get to have this lush vivid green field growing. When everything around it is brown and dead. The leaves on the trees haven't even begun to grow yet. Or maybe it's the fact that it's just so gosh dern purty! But really wheat is a beautiful and amazing grain. I always beg the hubbs to plant it in the fields around our house or at least as near by as possible so I can get my green fix. The wheat will actually be ready to harvest in about a month or so. That will be one of the first things ready for harvest. But right now just the bottom of the stems are begging to turn. And the heads are still green and the husks aren't nearly ready. So let me catch you up a bit on the wheat And I haven't been doing my duty as far as posting pics of the farm and our progress thus far.


I know it just looks like grass right now but it's not! This is the beginning of your favorite bread, cereal, crackers you name it.


Notice all the brown around the green? I wish I could capture the real depth of the colors. One day maybe I could. These pics were taken in the middle of March.

And this is the wheat field today. The stems with the head are about two and half feet tall and the heads are the lighter green color.


This is the husk which houses the seed. This one is still not ready but it gives you the idea.


And these are the teeny tiny wheat seeds the get ground into flour for our food. They aren't ready yet they wouldn't be green at all when it's time for harvest. It's more of a tan/brown color.

So that Guys and Gals is wheat!!! Stay tuned for Watermelon Seedlings...

4 comments:

junebug said...

I love wheat, too. It brings back so many memories of riding in the harvest back and forth from the field to the elevator with my mom. Good times. :-)

Keiko Zoll said...

Beautiful pictures and what a fascinating blog. I hope you don't mind a new follower- I'm intrigued by your story and the whole farm life experience- so very different from anything I've ever lived. Happy ICLW!

~Keiko @Hannah Wept, Sarah Laughed

Marielle0430 said...

Cute post! Thanks for sharing!

Life Happens said...

I ALWAYS love reading about your life on the farm. Those are great pictures. Can't wait for the watermelon pictures.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary