Saturday, September 19, 2009

Locks of Love

I have been thinking about how I need a new hair style for a looong time now. I have had long curly hair for the majority of my life and it suited me fine. But here recently I just felt like I was in a hair rut. I needed to do something. But I didn't know what I needed to do about it. I kept telling my stylist one of these days were going to cut it all off!! And she would laugh and say sure Mrs. Farmer. My stylist is my 1st cousin and I'm fairly close to her. So she knew I was always going to stay with my long locks just like all the women on our side of the family have. She is almost 40 and has the most amazing dark brown hair that is almost to her waist. She will usually wear in a braid and its like movie style princess hair. And then a couple weeks ago I got to thinking my hair is getting too heavy and its long and I can't do anything with it. I need to do something. But I just kept holding off. Then I was reading the blogs on my blogroll and saw this:please read


After reading it I felt so amazed at this little girl who gave so much. And I have been on this earth 20+ years more then she and I never have been this selfless. So I was going to do something I should have done many times over in the last several years of my life but never did.

I was going to give my hair to someone who could use it. Instead of letting it go into the wastebasket. I talked it over with Hubbs about a week ago. Then called the salon were my beautiful cousin works and she wasn't working. I then called everyday for about 4 days. And then one of her co workers finally said she won't be here till Friday. I was beginning to worry that maybe since she hadn't been working this week that maybe its a sign. But I wouldn't let myself think that way! I was going to cut my hair by George!!! I walked in Friday night and told her what I wanted and she about flipped out!! She didn't want to cut it. She was actually starting to make me get scared that I would look bad with short hair. She just kept saying I don't think you want to do this. This is going to be a lot of hair!! Its going to be shorter then anything you have had in ages. And I said yes its time to do it. She was so apprehensive but she was just looking out for me. She truly was worried about me. But I said just do it!! I don't care how short its going to be. Just do it!!! I had decided not to tell a soul until it was done. Farmer knew but I didn't want anyone else knowing cause I was worried I would chicken out at the last minute. But I didn't and its done now and its SOOOO short!!! But I really love it. I feel so different. I can't believe its me when I look in the mirror!!!

I think I needed this for Thursday. I feel like I'm starting anew. Who knows what I'll do next?!!





Yes I know there is a shadow but I don't have photoshop and I don't have the patience to sit in front of the camera all morning.

17 comments:

Kate said...

Good for you! Doesn't it feel great?! I did Locks of Love right after my wedding and finishing my master's degree. It felt wonderful. It helps someone else and can be very refreshing!

Life Happens said...

What a great feeling to be able to give back. I LOVE the new hair cut! Love it!!

Circus Princess said...

You're gorgeous! I did the same thing about a year ago. Locks of love ended up being just the icing on the cake even if that was the original reason.

Kate said...

Wow - it looks great!!! I've heard that a big change in your hair signals big change in your life... Hopefully, this will be the impetus of change for you!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I love it!! The new hair looks fab, plus you got some karma points just in time for the doc, which is never bad, lol.

M said...

LOVE the new do :) And I know what you mean, I was so addicted to the feeling, I donated twice!

Jaymee said...

love the cut, looks fantastic on you. i am in the process of growing mine long enough to donate. it is something that i have wanted to do for years, but i could never stay away from the dye.

ILCW

Anonymous said...

I think you look awesome!! I sure hope farmer likes it!! I have always said you can do what ever you want with your hair because the beauty of it is that HAIR GROWS!! Great photo!

www.infertilityinstability.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love the look! What a great organization to donate to! I hope you have a great week!

ICLW

K said...

I've done Locks of Love twice, and the first time I shaved my head to do it. So much fun! It's such an exhilarating feeling! Your new cut looks great!

How many days until the appt??

Sass said...

Looks great!!
Recently I had all my hair chopped off and I love it!!
Plus, I save time in drying it now!!

:)
Sass

Tara said...

I always feel so good with a fresh new haircut, like I can take on the world! I'm not sure what you looked like before but I think the new haircut looks fantastic on you and suits you beautifully. Good for you for doing this!

~Ifer said...

What a wonderful thing you have done. And your hair looks fabulous! I love getting new styles :)

Jill said...

I was attracted to your blog (via ICLW) because my husband grew up on a dairy farm. He chose not to take over the farm but still misses it. Love your hair, btw! Very cute! I tried to grow my hair out to donate but it actually won't grow long enough!

~ICLW~

April said...

Beautiful hair cut! I've done locks of love a couple of times now and it always feels so good to be able to help someone out in someway.

ICLW

Jess said...

What a great cause and you look gorgeous!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, that little girl has inspired me big time! As have you! I don't know what your hair looked like before but it looks AWESOME now.

(ICLW)

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary