I had to stop by my parents house on my way home last night and help my dad. He was needing my assistance with getting some computer things figured out. And getting his computer printer working again. My dad is just learning how to work with computers so it's been quite comical. My parents are in their mid fifties and live out in the sticks. I actually grew up in this log home. My father built it in 1976.
It had been snowing all day but it was just beginning to stick and I wanted you all to see my childhood home. So I took some pictures before I went it to share with all of you.
My siblings and I grew up in the woods. Running around like little chickens. We had forts built into the sides of gullies, Tree houses and grapevine swings all over my family's property. My dad even built us a tee pee down by a fire pit. We had so much fun here. You can't see how cool this place really is because the browns of the trees and the dead grass are just overpowering right now. But I will try and post a better picture if we get more snow this week.
When my sister and I were in our teens we would have the greatest Christmas parties here. Our friends christened my families home as "The Homestead." After my sister and I got older and moved out. The Christmas parties came to a halt we weren't around much anymore. But this past Christmas we actually got to have an old time Christmas party again! My brother was able to come home for Christmas this year. It had been several years since he had been home on Christmas. So it was very heart warming to have him home again. I couldn't believe all the people we had stuffed into that little house. We had over 80 people there!! It was almost like the house was smiling that night... I believe that some homes have a spirit and I love the spirit that this home has.
It's quite strange going home to your childhood home as an adult. I feel like I'm going to bump into the 9 year old version of myself hiding in my old closet. Knowing me, she would probably stick her tongue out at me and run away laughing at the old fat lady!
What is it like for you, when you go back to your childhood home?
Does it feel different somehow? Or is it just another house?
And did your mother/father create a "shrine" of you, in your old room or did you take all your stuff with you when you left?






3 comments:
Ohhh, I always wanted to live in a log cabin. They look so cool!
I want to live there!!
I have two family homes.
My mums house in the Uk...
My room was in the cellar. (converted into a room)
It's still painted pink, but is used as a guest bedroom now.
It's comfortable there, but not home anymore.
My 'real' family home though is my grandparents house. My room is still the same, same bed frame, same toys in the toy box...
It's wonderful to go home and hang out there.
Good memories there.
xx
Wow! Your dad built that! That's pretty awesome!
Post a Comment