Friday, June 25, 2010

Airplanes and Farming

I bet you never thought that planes would be a part of farming? Maybe some of you knew that they are used. Personally Mr. Farmer uses a buggy type sprayer which is like a super skinny tractor with wings (ours doesn't fly it stays put, with it's tires firmly on the ground:). But some local farms hire a pilot to top dress the fields and then they don't have to deal with it. It's really quick and super cool. My grandfather used to crop dust. He was a farmer his whole life and he was quite artistic when it came to flying. In fact it's been said he flew his old crop duster like he was a stunt pilot.... He was a pilot in WWII so I think he took alot of those maneuvers home with him and applied them to crop dusting. Whether he needed to barrel roll or not he would do it!!!
So the other night I was on my way home from my 9 to 5 job. (Heading to my 24-7 J.O.B) And I noticed this sweet little crop duster zipping around. And he reminded me so much of they way my Grandfather used to fly. This guy could do some pretty amazing things with his "bird." He was flipping and zipping. He did so many extra maneuvers while he was spraying that I would have thought my Grandfather was flying that plane. It was heavenly watching him. while I sat along the side of the road watching him flip and stall out and then zip back up. I remembered that I had my camera in my work bag! Lucky me!!
My shots aren't what I wanted, because he was so fast and I'm so slow. But I did the best I could. I wish you all could have experienced the sensation of a plane flying toward you at about 60 miles an hour and 10 to 15 feet above the ground. Holy Cow it's such a RUSH!!! I could literally feel the earth shaking under my feet as he was buzzing me. WOW!!! My adrenaline was totally rushing!


I want to learn how to fly now!! I think I should get my license this summer!!!


This was so close to me! He was just barely above the power lines!

Getting ready to start spraying.


You can barely see him above the corn. Because I'm so freaking short I couldn't shoot above the corn.

You can almost see the spray coming out.

This is the roof of the barn my great uncle Built AGES ago!! And I swear he flew so close it looked like he was going to fly right thorough it!

I don't know how to blow this up or I would so you could see how close he ended up coming to me.
I threw this in so you could get a bit of the scale of how tall the corn actually was. I'm 5ft 4in and the corn was a tad taller then me. So the plane was barely 15 feet off the ground!

12 comments:

Life Happens said...

Wish I was there to see it with you. Love the pictures and of course, the picture of you. Beautiful!

Have a great weekend.

daega99 said...

Pretty cool! My husband would have loved watching that!

ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures! Both my mom and several relatives have their pilots license and LOVE IT. I hope you have fun learning to fly.

nh said...

I like the pictures - it must have been a fab experience.

ICLW

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the crop dusters!! It's such a relaxing sound, and growing up in the midwest, it's just a sweet, familiar thing.

Happy ICLW!

Jem said...

I thought corn was as supposed to be as high as an elephant's eye!

Love the pictures and description of your life on a farm. So different from my suburban life where I have two raised beds with veggies that I mostly ignore.

~Jem (ICLW #56)

Lori said...

You should totally get your license!!! My husband is a pilot, and it comes in handy for little trips here and there!!!!! Go for it!

Lori ICLW 105

Three Cats and a Baby said...

I am stopping by for the first time for ICLW. I love your blog!!

Thank you for sharing those pictures. Very interesting.

Circus Princess said...

Wow, too cool! I almost felt like I was there with you through your story and pictures, thank you!

Ott, A. said...

Great information. a lot of people don't know much about crop dusters, so I'm glad to see you are blogging about it.

Jessica White said...

Very cool! Our corn is not even knee high yet, every things having issues growing.

You got some great pictures!

ICLW

Unknown said...

Great post! I have seen it myself many times but it always stops me in my tracks, I can't help but watch!

My partner in crime and I left an award for you on our blog!

http://twomaidsamilking.blogspot.com/2010/07/award-time.html

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary